Health Systems Management, Inc. (HSM) was incorporated in Minnesota in 1986. We are a private corporation and are totally independent of any health plan, insurer, or other health care entity. We work only for patients, focusing on helping patients and their families in times of crisis.
Our logo above represents our mission, which is to work together with you and whomever else you choose to ensure that you have the medical information you need to make the decisions that are best for you.
Health Systems Management helps patients find whatever resources are needed. We work with you to identify and access these resources (as appropriate and with your permission) so that you can receive all the help that is available. We also provide information that may help you partner more effectively with your doctor to anticipate and possibly prevent medical or other problems.
Our patient advocates have been providing patient advocacy services for fifteen years. Our company mission is based on our belief that "information empowered" health care consumers can force change in the current "non system" that characterizes health care. Working together with patients and their providers, we can improve quality and accountability for individual patients and positively affect the health care system.
We provide services directly to active working people, retirees, and family members. In the past, we have also provided back-up support for physicians and health plan case managers. We serve
HSM staff are experienced professionals with decades of experience in all aspects of health care delivery, management, and research. During our twenty years in business, HSM's focus has been:
- Taft-Hartley Health and Welfare Fund active and retired members and their dependents.
- Employees and dependents of large and small employers.
- Developing and managing quality-based Centers of Excellence networks. An HSM principal and HSM's Medical Director were among the first to develop a transplant Centers of Excellence network in the 1980s.
- Carrying out independent, useful assessments of new medical technologies and also innovative uses of established technologies.
- Designing information and data systems that emphasize identifying individuals, who are at high risk, before they develop costly and debilitating medical conditions. We then provide cost effective strategies and resources for preventing individual risks from manifesting or we help mitigate the potential effects of conditions that cannot be prevented.
- Designing strategies and resources that help physicians and other direct care professionals offer patients access to up-to-date effective treatments, based on accurate comprehensive diagnoses and informed patient choice.